New Build/Conservation: Howard St
3-7 Market Row & Bretts Warehouse
The redevelopment of a number of derelict properties and brownfield land between Market Row and Row 44 over 18 months in the historic conservation area in Great Yarmouth close to the Market Square. Project Manager for this scheme is Great Yarmouth's Chief Conservation Officer.
The existing site consists of four main elements:
- 3-7 Market Row: The demolished remains of the burnt out Court Carpet store in Market Row which provided space for a new 4 storey masonry building with hollowcore concrete floor slabs providing shop accomodation on the ground floor with flats and maisonettes above for disadvantaged young people managed by Orwell Housing Association.
- Bretts Warehouse: A listed retail premises which had lain derelict for many years and was in need of emergency structural repairs and partial demolition. This building is to be converted to provide offices, cafeteria and further accomodation for disadvantaged young people managed by Orwell Housing Association.
- The Talbot Pub: Work comprises the conversion, extension and refurbishment of an existing building to provide further sheltered accomodation.
- The Cottage: Work includes refurbishment and conservation of the last remaining 17th century merchants cottages in Great Yarmouth, for converison into accomodation for disadvantaged young people.
Key Project Features:
- high quality newbuild, refurbishment, conservation work
- restricted city centre site
- extremely complex structural work and dismantling of existing buildings
- use of traditional materials
- open book framework agreement
- multi client, multi end user project
Contract Type: 2 stage tender JCT Intermediate Form of Contract
Completion Date: April 2009
Client: Stephen Earl, Head Conservation Officer, Great Yarmouth Borough Council (01493 846419)
Architect: Jeremy Stacey Architects, Beachamwell (01366 328735)
Quantity Surveyor: Malcolm Frammingham, GC Baxter Associates (01553 774010)
Structural Engineer: Charles Edwards, CEEDD (01603 713778)